Thursday 25 February 2010

Pattern - Textured Blocks Baby Blanket


An update today, November 30, 2012
I've only just noticed the comments on this blanket, and I'd like to apologise to everyone looking for guidance. I originally put in kitchener stitch, but what I meant, when I wrote the pattern, was mattress stitch. I was a newer knitter and I confused the two terms when I published this.

There are also many concerns regarding how "square" the squares are.  If you find that your squares are a bit too rectangular, simply add a couple extra rows to the top and bottom of the block and it will evenly square out for you. Every knitter's gauge is different. Modify easily by adding rows. It won't ruin the pattern. Just make sure to add even numbers of rows to the top and bottom of each heart, or to the bottom of any other square.

I hope this cleared up a bit of confusion. If anyone has questions, please contact me on Ravelry as jupe.

Thanks!

Now, back to your regularly scheduled blanket.  

Our friends, Joe and Diana, were finally having a baby - a little girl. I decided quickly that I wanted to knit them a baby blanket to keep her warm and cozy. After mulling over the fastest and easiest way to make a blanket, I decided on a series of textured squares, a bulkier yarn, bigger needles, and simple patterns.

The blanket turned out beautifully. It seems to be a reasonably big hit on my Ravelry page, so I've decided to finally make the pattern available for anyone else who wanted to knit one like it.





Recommended yarn:
Estelle Cloud Cotton
Aran / 10 ply 165 yards / 100 grams

Gauge
18 sts = 4 inches on US 8 (5mm) needles

Needles:
1 pair straight US 8 (5mm)
1 Crochet hook size H (5mm) (for border)

Colours: 106 (green), 113 (pink), 115 (white), 118 (turquoise) (1 skein of each colour)

Small amount of yellow yarn for centre of flower




Each square is 22 sts wide and 20 rows deep

Green squares (make 7)

CO 22 sts
Slip first stitch of every row
Knit 2 rows
Purl 1 row
Knit 1 row
Repeat until finished
Bind off loosely




Pink squares (make 8)


CO 22 sts
Slip first stitch of every row
Row 1: *K2 P2, *rep to end of row
Row 2: *P2 K2, * rep to end of row
Row 3: *P2 K2, * rep to end of row
Row 4: *K2 P2, * rep to end of row
Repeat until finished
Bind off loosely




White squares (make 7)

Slip first stitch of every row
Row 1: K
Row 2: P2, *K1 P3, * rep to end of row
Row 3: K
Row 4: P
Row 5: K
Row 6: K1, * P3, K1 * rep to last st, P1
Row 7: K
Row 8: P
Repeat until finished
Bind off loosely





Turquoise squares (make 8)


Slip first stitch of every row
Follow chart as above. On the right side, knit the knits and purl the purls. On WS, purl the knits and knit the purls



Flower (make 1)

Centre:
With scrap yellow yarn,  CO 3 sts
Row 1: Kfb, k1, kfb (5 sts)
Row 2: Pfb, p1, pfb (7 sts)
Row 3: K
Row 4: P
Row 5: K
Row 6: P
Row 7: Ssk, k3, k2tog (5 sts)
Row 8: P2tog through the back of sts, p1, p2tog (3 sts)
BO

Petals (make 5):
With white, CO 3
Row 1: Kfb, k1, kfb (5 sts)
Row 2: Pfb, p1, pfb (7 sts)
Row 3: K
Row 4: P
Row 5: K
Row 6: P
Row 7: K
Row 8: P

Row 9 Ssk, k3, k2tog (5 sts)
Row 10: P2tog through the back of sts, p1, p2tog (3 sts)
BO with long tail, do not cut
Weave in to ends on the back side of the flower

Using whipstitch, sew petals to the centre of the flower
Secure the flower to a pink square.






Finishing

Using Mattress Stitch, sew squares together in the following sequence, making sure each square is the right way up:

Row 1: Pink, Turquoise, White, Green, Pink
Row 2: Turquoise, White, Green, Pink (with flower), Turquoise
Row 3: White, Green, Pink, Turquoise, White
Row 4: Green, Pink, Turquoise, White, Green
Row 5: Pink, Turquoise, White, Green, Pink

When all rows are complete, using size H hook and White,  DC every 2 sts around border of entire blanket

Weave in ends



39 comments:

Tif said...

Gorgeous blanket!!

Annie B said...

I am knitting this gorgeous blanket at the moment, and just wanted to let you know that the white square (written instructions)..If you knit row 1 to row 9 then repeat...you will end up with a garter ridge (rows 9and 1 are both knit)...I just omitted row 9, so only did rows 1 to 8 then repeat...funnily enough, the graph is correct!!.. Thanks for sharing this pattern...its looking great so far...will send you a pic when its finished.

Anonymous said...

how do you kitchener stitch the squares together when this type of stitch is meant for "active" stitches still on the needle? Unless I'm not understanding what a kitchener stitch is.

Anonymous said...

I'm actually going to knit this for myself because it will go perfectly with my room...ah being single and 25 it does have some benefits lol! Anyway, I just wanted to say thank you for coming up with such a lovely pattern!!! I am going to alter it a bit to make it big enough for my full size bed, but I'll send a pic when I'm done with it!!! :)

Anonymous said...

I actually have the same question that was also posted there. Do I kitchener stitch the rows as well. How do you attach the 5 rows? I'm fairly new to knitting so I apologize if this assumed somewhere. Thanks!

Mama Dial said...

Is there another yarn that you would suggest? I can't find any close by. Would any cotton yarn work? I want it to be soft...any suggestions?
Thanks!

momotte said...

trouvé sur Ravelry
je me suis permis de mettre le lien sur mon blog.
merci pour le tuto!!
Thanks for this model!

Anonymous said...

I am very new to knitting but I would very much like to make up this blanket.. Unfortunately I can not for the life of me understand knitting charts! I like my lists!! Is there anyway someone could help me out with written instructions? Thank you :)

Anonymous said...

I have the same question as above about how to kitchener stitch the squares together as they're already off the needles... thanks!

Anonymous said...

How do you print this??? Ive tried and copying and pasting but it wont copy and it wont paste. I LOVE this pattern soo much and I want to make it really bad for my sister in law but I cant figure out several things (part of it is Im new to knitting)...

Anonymous said...

I really love this baby afghan, but I can't figure out how to print this either! I have tried cut & paste, but it won't paste.
CarolJLF@aol.com

Unknown said...

I was able to get this to copy, paste and print. It isn't great how it transferred, but it worked- so if you still have trouble, email me at villantimom@gmail.com and I'll try to forward it to you.
I'm also confused as to how to put them together with the kitchener stitch if you've binded off each piece. I'm going to crochet them together like granny squares. I did that on another similar blanket and it was awesome- really gave it a quilted look.

Lisa said...

If you're having trouble copying and pasting, drag your mouse over the pattern to highlight it all, then go to your print button and click 'Print selection'. Voila. Works in IE anyway.

Sheila said...

Gorgeous blanket for a gorgeous baby. :)

Lisa said...

Please can you explain how to kitchener stitch the squares together? Do you pick up stitches around the edges?

Dominique said...

*Just Thank You very much for this
georgious pattern *

Jen said...

Do you slip the AND last stitch of every row? When I slipped the first stitch of every row on the pink squares, it made a cool diagonal-line pattern instead of the mini-basket-weave-look. I do like it though, happy accident!

Nova said...

This is my first patchwork blanket. Do you have a suggestion for what to do with the first & last stitch of each row to make it easier to seam at the end? Thanks!! (And cool that your pattern is still being used 3 years later!!)

jupe said...

It's best to slip the first stitch in every row in order to pick them up easily when it's time to seam them if you have trouble picking up stitches that have been knit.

Anonymous said...

On the heart square there are no directions but if you knit continously you end up with garter stitching? Can you please explain this to me?

jupe said...

Knit on the right side and purl on the wrong side. if you knit on the wrong side, you'll end up with garter stitches.

Unknown said...

Does anyone have the heart block written out? I've tried doing it so many times and it doesn't work out. I'd appreciate the help.

Unknown said...

@Elizabeth - Have left the heart squares until last! I'll be writing it out as a pattern, shall I post it on here for you when it's done?

Anonymous said...

Im mostly a crocheter... but do knit well too... however.. I was just wondering about the size of the squares and are they "square" I have just started the first squares doing 22 stitches and 20 rows but it looks like a rectangle rather than a square.. is this correct????

Tammy xxx

Unknown said...

@Tammy, after I added a stitch each side, I had to knit 40 rows for it to become a square. If I were you, I would just keep knitting until you can fold what you've done corner to corner perfectly so that you know you've got a square. Hope that helps :) xx

Anonymous said...

Could you please someone tell me how to knit the heart square and post it in here so I can make the heart to go with the blanket ! Thank you !

Colleen said...

I'm knitting the heart square and everything was working out until I got to the ones 4 stitches from the edge. I've ripped it out many times, as it doesn't look correct. I'm knitting the purls and purling the knits, as instructed. I've even not done the pattern on the purl rows, just on the knit and it's still not right. I think it might have something to do with the succession of the column.

The only thing I might try is to fill in the heart to see if it looks better. Any suggestions?

Unknown said...

You have to still follow the pattern but you knit the stitches on the right side and lurk then on the wrong side.

Unknown said...

I meant purl them on the wrong side, not lurk!!

GreenwichAngela said...

Hi,
Ive made the flower petals and center. I'm a little lost on
the sewing together part. Would you be able to explain a little more?
If I stitch to the center, the white will show? This blanket is beautiful.
Had to adjust the squares, but it came out beautiful.
Thanks

Unknown said...

Hi, I'm a bit lost when reading the pattern for the white squares which is correct the written pattern or the graph as it states on row 2 P2 *K1 P3* rep to end if you look on the graph this does not correspond. Many thanks.
Clare Collins

Anne b said...

Hi. Has anyone written the heart instructions out? I've just tried it with some spare wool but the stitches at the sides of the heart(4 stitches in from the edge) have come out looking different to the picture. I've tried to follow it the best I can! Can anyone help me with this?

Unknown said...

The pattern for the pink squares is only a ribbed pattern, not like the picture..can anyone help please?

Anonymous said...

I need some help with the heart square I've tried it twice and the four rows, which has the straight vertical lines seems to appear on the wrong side. Please help

Unknown said...

I'm having trouble with the heart pattern too on the verticle lines. Have tried so many different ways but can't make it work. Please can someone help us :)

Anonymous said...

Textured Blocks Baby Blanket

Heart


1 k
2 p
3 k
4 p10, k2, p10
5 k9, p1, k2, p1, k9
6 p8, k1, p4, k1, p8
7 k7, p1,k6, p1, k7
8 p6, k1, p8, k1, p6
9 k5, p1, k10, p1, k5
10 p4, k1, p12, k1, p4
11 k3, p1, k14, p1, k3
12 p3, k1, p14, k1, p3
13 k3, p1, k14, p1, k3
14 p3, k1, p14, k1, p3
15 k3, p1, k6, p2, k6, p1, k3
16 p4, k1, p4, k1, p2, k1, p4, k1, p4
17 k5, p4, k4, p4, k5
18 p
19 k
20 p

Lauren said...

I'm a newbie knitter, having trouble getting these to even remotely resemble squares. Started with the green squares and 20 rows was not even close. Looks like it's going to be 26-28 to make it a square.

Is there anything I can adjust with my tension or needle size before I go adding 8 rows to every single square?

I am using Lily Sugar N Cream cotton yarn and I was using 5.0mm knitting needles.

Joyetha said...

I m having trouble with the flower petal can anyone help the 2nd line pfb does not correspond

Suzo888 said...

I’m still having trouble with the heart pattern, even following the written instructions as written earlier.
Any suggestions?